Sunday, November 2, 2008

You don't see this in Reisterstown!

The other morning, while the kids were getting ready for school, I heard a bunch of excited chatter, followed by, "Momma, Momma, MOM, come quick!". In general, this is enough to send any smart mom flying in the direction of the call. Of course, I came running with an overload of adrenaline rushing through my veins ready to do battle, settle a skirmish, administer first aid, or clean up the worst mess imaginable. Thankfully none of those responses were needed as all of my kids were all plastered against the back windows. What could they possibly be so excited about?
There were 32 VERY large wild birds grazing in our back yard (the kids think they were turkeys, but I have NO idea). I am so thankful that my children are able to grow up where they are exposed to so many different wild animals! Not only that, they are still excited by such a thing! Last year we had "snow geese" come by the thousands! I so hope they come again this year so I can share them with you. They were just amazing-they looked like a white tornado coming in for a landing! At this time of year all you hear outside are the migrating birds. It's amazing! We are just so blessed!

2 comments:

swoozyQ said...

I'm very curious to know what those are. Could they be some kind of Hawk? I hope you get a picture of the pretty white ones.
It's great that you still run when the kids call you:) I've gotten a little slow over the years.

Momma said...

It depends on the amount of panic in thier voice. Sometimes I just wait to see if they can settle things themselves. This morning there was a lot of excitement and volume in their voices!