Monday, November 17, 2008

I Have Failed-Again!

I love food. I love cooking. I love to play with food and to make it fun. I love the whole art of making a meal a pleasurable experience. I have taught other women pieces of this art, including table place settings, napkin folding (which I admit I am NOT great at), meal planning, budgeting, cooking and baking. I guess I thought I had taught the children some of these things as well.

Tonight I realized once again (unfortunately it's not the first time!), just how much I have failed to pass things onto the children. It was specifically place settings tonight. We were finishing up a nice dinner (around the table, not sitting in front of the tv, which we do upon occasion) when Collin asks the nightly question, "What's for dessert?" (I usually keep jello, pudding or yogurt in the frig for nights I haven't made a special dessert.) Gary's answer, "Nothing. There is no dessert tonight." GASP, grumpy faces and disbelief all around. Then, after a moment, Collin's reply.

"Well, then what is this spoon at my seat for?" Then Danny joins it, "Yea, why do we need a spoon if we can't use it?"

Great question. Why have a spoon at your seat if there isn't a reason to use it? Just to have more to clean up? Leave it to my kids to point out the silliness of convention!

By the way, after we were done laughing, there was jello for all tonight!

No comments: