Wednesday, November 12, 2008

To Field Trip or Not to Field Trip

Nathan has a field trip to DC next week to see several short plays at George Washington University and then onto the new wax museum. (This sounds like a cool trip to me!) We got the permission slip over a month ago and I thought that I had signed up to chaperon. This was a HUGE "discussion" in our house because Kaylyn, Danny and Collin came home with field trip slips the same week (to Annapolis) and Claire came home with one the next week (to the Baltimore Science Center). Between all of the field trip fees for the kids and for chaperons it was over $250 in two weeks. Gary, who is usually supportive of the kids activities, had a problem with the cost of all of the trips (understandably). I, as usual, took it all in stride as in "well, kids cost a lot and they HAVE to go on the trip". Anyway-I am off track-I THOUGHT that I had signed up to go on Nate's trip. I THOUGHT I had sent in my payment. Well, yesterday, I got a call from one of Nate's teachers asking me if I wanted to go on the trip-they now had space available if I did. If I do, please send in a check for $40.00 to cover my cost. WHAT!?! I had that on my calender already! I had already fought with Nathan over going (he wants his independence and WHY do I have to go on all of the trips?)! I THOUGHT THE FIELD TRIP DILEMMA WAS OVER-at least until spring trips!!!! Worse yet, Gary overheard the message. Great, now we have to "discuss" this all over again! Surely there is a mistake. I DON'T want to revisit this "discussion"! Picture me scurrying over to the checkbook ledgers sure that I had already paid for this #*!#&# trip! NOPE! I sent in money for Nathan, but I guess not me-my "we'll decide later" compromise. Now, do I go or do I stay? Do I let Nathan, my wonderful first born child in sixth grade, go on the trip over the Bay Bridge into the PIT known as Washington DC without me (under supervision of wonderful teachers and other parents, I'm sure, but come on! I go on all of the trips! I watch over my kid WAY better than anyone else!) or do I cough up another $40 for a field trip that Nathan's going to ignore me on anyway? Do I take a day that I could be doing other things (picture Mt. Never Rest or 4 dirty bathrooms) and sit on a diesel fuel fumed bus crammed full of hormonal sixth graders? Do I REALLY have to talk to Gary about this AGAIN? Am I a really good momma and go even though Nathan said, "whatever you want Momma-I don't care". Good Grief, WHAT do I do?

3 comments:

swoozyQ said...

You can do BOTH! Go incognito!
That way you avoid the $40. and Nathan can't say you went WITH him. You could bump into Nathan while on the street wearing a super fly spy outfit and say you were just in the city on buisness, that you would tell him what it was about but then would have to erase his memory. Then look over your shoulder and act as if someone is after you and run away. :)

Momma said...

Good idea except I DON'T want to drive in DC. You don't think Nathan would be freaked out with a Superspy MOMMA, do you?

Daddy said...

Here's my comment, "No Comment"! Just go already! A great time will be had by all.