Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Day

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving day with visiting family. Gary's parents, sister, her husband and son, Grandpa Dud and my Papa came to have a terrific meal with us. (Quick note: My mom isn't feeling well and didn't make it for more than about half an hour. Please send up a quick prayer on her behalf.) I actually had everything under control (It makes Gary REALLY crazy for me to get stressed out when we are having people over. As a result, I have to be calm, or at least fake being really calm so that he doesn't have to get upset with me.) for the day. The turkey-yes, the fresh turkey was worth it-took just a little longer than expected. (When you combine guests arriving early and the turkey late, well, I did get a little stressed. I don't mind guests arriving early, but I just had everything planned out for the turkey to be done at 1:30. It wasn't done until around 2:00. Not really a big deal to anyone but me!) It was delicious and worth the wait, though. Thankfully, I had a craft for the kids to do and appetizers to munch on while we were waiting for dinner to get ready. For dessert, we had plenty to choose from-cookies, pecan pie, apple pie and chocolate chip pound cake with/without ice cream and whipped cream. I had a special "fun" dessert for the kids. I made brown sugar cutout cookies and gave each kid icing and sprinkles to decorate their own cookies. They loved it! Everyone left the table full and happy. (Actually, I could really just have eaten appetizers and dessert and skipped the main meal all together.) After dinner, we had a great time visiting with Gary's family for the rest of the day. We really don't get together as much as we should! All in all, it was a delightful day. One that we can all be thankful for!

Oh, at bedtime, Claire lost a tooth. When it came out, after she had been tucked in for the night of course, she asked if I would take a picture and include it on the blog. My kids are really getting into the blog thing! So, here is a picture of Claire and her big hole on top!

1 comment:

Angie said...

Your turkey looked wonderful. Very beautiful.I bet it tasted as good as it looked. I am so glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. You have so much to be thankful for. What a wonderful family. We too have a lot to be thankful for. We had a house fire on Tuesday. We are without a home for the next two to three months, but God is good!! Nobody was home at the time. Thank God it did not happen at night. Tell Claire she is beautiful with her tooth missing. I love that age!!! One of my kids has about 5 teeth missing currently. I am not sure how she bites into things!!! Take care.
Angie