Saturday, November 15, 2008

My Little Chef

Kaylyn is learning to love to cook. This past summer she took two week long cooking camps at the local community college. One she loved, the other not so much. It had a lot to do with the teacher at camp. (One was a cute, college aged girl working her way through culinary school, one was a grandmother that taught the kids to make vegetables. Which one do you think Kaylyn liked?) Well, earlier this fall (in the midst of soccer season so I'm surprised that I even read it!) we received a flier about some cooking classes that the young chef is doing on Saturday afternoons for Halloween and Christmas. We signed her up much to Kaylyn's delight! She could see Ms. Amanda again and learn some more cooking! Yea! Kaylyn did the Halloween class and came home to make wonderful creations like "green slime"-a punch type drink, "mummies"-a hot dog in crescent rolls, and a wonderful spiced popcorn. (There were others, but these were our favorites.) At the end of class, she had her own cookbook. It's been a lot of fun for her.

Well, today she started her Christmas class. Here are some of the creations from today's class. The mice were adorable and the cookies, although a little brown, were delicious. It is so much fun to see her so proud of her creations. She just can't wait to share them with us when she gets home. I am so proud and excited that she is enjoying an activity on which I spend so much time and energy. Now I just have to learn to give up some control in the kitchen!!! Stay tuned for future Kaylyn Creations!

2 comments:

swoozyQ said...

Tell Kaylyn I would LOVE to have her recipe for the mice!! I don't really like baking cookies but I like these sort of cookies where you can sit and put them together. I made snowmen from nutter butters last year. They were a BIG hit at the cookie swap I went to. I'll have to give that one to you and Kaylyn. They were fun to put together and so cute.

Misty V said...

So cute, and I am sure they were fun to make. My girls are always asking to make stuff in the kitchen. Neat classes. I will have to look into some here! What is in the mice? Maybe I could do that with them soon.