Friday, January 9, 2009

We will continue...

...to be over protective parents. Nathan borrowed from a friend the DVD, Dark Knight today. It is PG-13, but I thought maybe he could watch it. He says that all of the guys at school have seen it and he saw part of it at a birthday party the other night. (He had a nightmare that night, by the way! My kids are really bothered by evil and evil intentions.) I told him that Daddy and I would look up some reviews, maybe watch it, and then let him know if he could see the rest of it.

We read the reviews. He won't.

I am discouraged that other parents will allow 11 year old kids to watch this stuff. Do they do any research at all before they let their kids go see movies? And, by the way, why is Hollywood so hellbent on turning the good, admirable hero into something murky? We should be able to send kids to see a movie about Batman and feel sure that the good guy wins, the bad guy looses, and the good guy is all good, the bad guy while bad, isn't downright evil. What happened to POW!, BOP!, BANG!, etc. from the old Batman and Robin shows? Did the world really need a dark version of Batman?

From the review, and I will admit, I didn't watch the movie, it sounds REALLY dark. Admittedly, the review mentioned that there isn't a lot of blood and gore shown on the screen...it leaves it up to your imagination as to just how much pain and suffering the Joker puts people through before killing them. This makes it better? Really, have you met 11 year old boys and their imaginations? It's better to let them imagine what the Joker is doing to people? The reviewer mentions that they left the movie theater more unsettled than when they saw SAW 3! Holy cow, are you kidding me? Is this really what parents want to let into their kid's mind?

Now, that being said, I have heard over and over what a great movie Dark Knight is. I would guess that it is a good movie for an adult...at least as good as a dark Batman can get. I believe that it is really well made. Heath Ledger is supposed to be unbelievably good as the Joker. I don't have an argument there. However, it isn't a movie my 11 year old son needs to see. I think we'll go get Iron Man or Transformers instead. I'll take a good blowup movie over evil Jokers any day!

3 comments:

swoozyQ said...

have you seen Iron Man or Transformers? Nate had told me that Iron Man has a love scene and it wasn't good for our 8 yr. old. I saw Transformers but I totally didn't like the way the boy eyed up the girl when she checks out the car. :/ Can't our kids stick to Dragon Tales for the rest of their lives:) lol

Momma said...

Swoozy, I have to be honest. I haven't seen them, however, I am willing to trade some true red-blooded sexy looks for the outright evil in so many movies right now. It is a really tough line to walk, but I would rather imprint with a little old fashioned google eye than the horror in other movies. It's really hard when it seems that all of Nathan's friends have seen all of those movies. I have to let him grow up a little and expose him to some less than desirable things while he is still in my home where I can try to counter act them. If I don't, well, what will he find when he leaves home, and how will he know how to react to them? Don't know that I am right, but I'm doing my best!

Jamie said...

Good thinking both of you. I'm glad you made that choice Momma because I didn't even want to see Dark Knight? Did you hear what happened to the dude that playe d"Joker"?