Monday, January 5, 2009

Snow Geese

Before moving to the Eastern Shore, I was unaware of all of the different water fowl there are. When we lived in the western part of the state, I enjoyed watching the Canadian geese when they migrated, but had never heard of Snow geese. Snow geese are AMAZING! They are, surprise, white, and travel in HUGE flocks. I have never seen such a thing! There are thousands of them in one flock. When they land, they circle, circle, and circle until they are sure they have found just the right spot (I'm guessing that's what they are looking for?). It looks like a live, white tornado. And the sound, my goodness, all of them calling at once. It's really neat. Anyway, I took a picture this morning on my way home from taking Nathan to school. The picture doesn't really do it justice, but I thought I would try. The white line at the bottom is THOUSANDS of birds-I mean THOUSANDS! Enlarge the picture by clicking on it and look closer. You just can't believe it! It's so cool to live in the country!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

They're beautiful!

swoozyQ said...

Wow! How amazing and beautiful. I dare you to get out of the car next time and run through the birds...I suggest wearing protective gear. It would make for a GREAT picture for your blog:)

Momma said...

This post was for you Swoozy! I talked about it before and you were interested! It would be FUN to run through them, but I might get shot by the farmer that owns the land!?!

swoozyQ said...

Thanks for thinking of me :) It really is a special sight. I guess it isn't worth risking your life to run through the snow birds :)

Anonymous said...

It is a beautiful sight.