Thursday, July 30, 2009

Van Trouble AGAIN!

As mentioned, our van broke down on Saturday. We had been to my nephew's first birthday party and on the way home stopped in to see our old neighbors. While there, the belt in our engine broke and we lost all ability to drive. I was so thankful that we broke down in our old neighborhood. (I was also REALLY thankful that we started to pay for AAA about a year and a half ago.) We knew where to have the van towed and we had friends to help us out. As a matter of fact, I think we started an impromptu block party for our old court! My friend Tina allowed us to borrow her conversion van-thank God she had a vehicle big enough for all of us that we could use-so we didn't have to rent a 15 passenger cargo van from the airport. It was stressful, but we made it home in one piece. The garage was able to get the van fixed by 2:00 Monday afternoon. I made the 3 1/2 hour round trip to get the van and bring it home. Again, stressful, but not as bad as it could've been.
Well, yesterday the new belt slipped off again when I was bringing the boys home from camp. For the second time in 4 days I was left stranded with a car that isn't drivable! Oh, and of course it was raining. Again, it was the best of an awful situation in that I was only about 9 miles from home, I was able to get to a safe parking lot, Grandpa Dud was able to come pick up the boys while I waited for the tow truck and the garage is only about a mile from home. It could've been a lot worse...but it sure could've been a lot better!You know what frosts me the most? My dad had just told me at the birthday party on Saturday that I need to get rid of the van before it left me stranded. I defended the van saying that it has been great for the last 11 years and always gets me where I need to go. That I would love a new car, but we don't want 2 car payments at once. Pppppfpffffffttttt! See if I defend the dang van again. Now, we just need to nurse it for about 3 more years so that we can pay Gary's car off. Hahahahahahaha, we'll see.

1 comment:

Misty V said...

If anyone can "love" it into devotion to u and your family for 3 more years, it is my ROBIN! I hate it that you were stranded for the 2nd time. I was in your shoes less than a year ago :(. It is not fun to wonder each day if this will be the day that it will break down again. Praying for you and your FAITHFUL VAN!!!!