Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Papa's World

Kaylyn and I visited Papa this morning. He is still so disoriented, but today it was funny. Today he was convinced that I needed to "get him off the plane and take him home on the helicopter". He was really put out with me because I wouldn't teach him to "drive" the helicopter. I told him I would teach him as soon as he could walk, but until then I was taking my helicopter and going home. Then he was really mad we wouldn't move the t.v. (actually a piece of foam to keep his legs stable) from between his legs. When I told him his t.v. was on the wall, well that really upset him. Why would I have put the t.v. on the wall? Oh boy, it's going to be a long recovery I am afraid!

On the other front, we went to see my mom's surgeon today. He has scheduled mom for colon surgery on Monday. He is very knowledgeable and professional, while still having a very nice bedside manner. We feel very comfortable with him performing the surgery and we were very thankful that he had time on his schedule so quickly. It will be about a 6-8 week recovery, but I know my mom. She'll be up and around ASAP. Our prayer is that Papa can stay at the rehab long enough for mom to be somewhat recovered.

Here at home, we have had the kids running laps around our property getting ready for soccer camp next week and tonight we started sprints across our front lawn. They are really improving QUICKLY! Nathan, of course, runs like the wind and just gets faster each night. Danny is improving faster than I could've imagined. In less than a week there is a noticeable difference in his stride and speed. Collin had a slow start...he didn't buy into this whole running thing. (Poor guy, I totally get it!) We had a serious talk last night about effort making a difference and tonight he looked like a totally different kid. He, more than any of our other kids, is a "mind over matter" kinda guy. Once he got on board, he looked great running. He just had to decide that it was worth it. Kaylyn said that she would like to play lacrosse next year, so she is jogging as well. This is huge because up until this point any exercise that caused her to overheat would give her a migraine. She has been great the last several nights. Claire, our least likely to want to sweat, has decided that she likes to run. I am amazed at how much effort she is putting into it. She can really move when she wants to. Of course, it's always more fun when Nate or Daddy jog along beside her. I am so glad that they are working so hard to get into and stay in shape. They are even doing sit ups before bed each night. I am really proud of them and even better, they are proud of themselves. Now, if only I could convince myself to get on board...

Well, maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Prayers going up for your Papa and your mom. Well, and for you too. This is a difficult time for all of you. Please know that I pray for you all daily.

Misty V said...

We will continue to pray from Papa and your mom.
Is it spring training or BOOT camp at your house? It is tough having a Dad as a coach!!!

The Millenders said...

Tell your Mom we will be praying for her on Monday! Enjoy catching up on your crew - they are getting big! Take care!