Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Unbelievable!

I have had the most awful experience today!

As I have mentioned in previous posts, we are having some trouble with our puppy, Holly. Several months ago she started having some issues getting up from laying down. We were concerned, so we took her to the vet as soon as we could. We had x-rays done that show she has some hip issues that may require surgery in the future. Until then, we should give her glucosamine supplements to help with her joint health. Okay, we are fine with that. After all, it doesn't stop her from running all over the neighborhood after the kids or the bus!

Then, although she has always been a "mouthy" dog, we noticed that she is sometimes starting to snarl, growl and even snap when you approach her. When she approaches you to play or be petted, she is fine, but if you approach her, she can be grumpy. It doesn't happen all of the time, but often enough that I was concerned. Being what I thought was a responsible pet owner, I called a dog trainer to have us evaluated. I thought maybe I wasn't dominate enough or maybe she just needed some extra training. As mentioned before, she did great with the trainer, but we still had the snapping problem.

Today I took her to have a full panel blood test done in hopes that maybe there is a medical reason for her sudden grumpiness. I took her to a different vet, the one recommended by the trainer. The new vet had some concerns as well when I explained what was happening. She had the blood drawn and is "hoping" it's a thyroid problem, but "really doesn't have much hope". It seems that Holly is really young to have a thyroid issue.

Okay, the outcome of all of this, other than a ton of wasted money, is: I have been told by both the new vet and the trainer, that we really need to prepare ourselves that it would be best to find Holly a new home. It is most likely that there isn't a medical issue and it is really just a personality issue. She would be better placed in a home without children and their unpredictability. THIS IS HARD FOR ME TO DEAL WITH!!!! As my father said, I have a save the world complex. However, being told by 2 different professionals, and going with my gut feeling that we are on borrowed time before someone gets bit, I am trying to prepare myself and my family with the inevitable...we will most likely have to give Holly away.

In an effort to help the kids, I have been looking for a new puppy that we might be able to bring home. We love having a dog, but want one we can trust. I found several Golden Retriever mix puppies at a local rescue shelter. GREAT! That's just what we are looking for. I have never heard of a grumpy Golden! I called and was assured that they were still available. So, I went there and was told that I could see them, but several were already in the process of being adopted. I would have to fill out an adoption form.

Here is the awful part. I was explaining, through tears, the situation we were having, and the lady at the desk was AWFUL to me. She made me feel as if I was a really bad person for having to give up a dog.

I explained that she was snapping at us. She told me that was because, obviously, Holly was in pain. I needed to do pain management for her.

I told her that we had 5 kids and couldn't have an unpredictable dog in the house. She told me that a house with 5 kids was no place for a dog...I shouldn't be even looking at puppies!

I told her that we had a trainer to the house to work with us. She told me that I needed to speak with their trainer because she would be able to help us...there was no reason to get rid of a dog because of a behavior issue.

I asked, since we wanted Holly in the best place to find a good home, would this shelter be somewhere, if we needed, that we could take her. She told me absolutely not. They only took dogs from shelters.

Finally, I asked if this was going to prevent me from being able to adopt a puppy from this organization. She told me, dripping with contempt, that she couldn't make that decision. She would have the person in charge of adoption call me when she had time.

I have never, ever been judged so unfairly in my life. I left there feeling like I was the worst person on Earth! We have put a ton of time, effort and money into trying to make Holly fit into our home. We HAVE NOT made this decision lightly. She made this hard situation even worse! I can't even believe that I had to deal with that. I am so upset.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Robin,
I was so sorry to hear about the horrible way you were treated at the shelter.
I can feel your pain and sadness at not just the way you were spoken to but with the painful decision you are faced with.
It reminded me of a similar situation with Tracey Tiernan from 95.1 WRBS and I found a post to her blog that I thought might help you.

http://morningswithtmd.blogspot.com/2009/01/wheres-benny.html

I'll be praying for you and your family and little Holly.

Love,
Sunday~

Misty V said...

Robin, I am heart broken for you. I know you are trying to do what is best for your family and Holly. That lady had no right to judge you!!! You are WAY to SWEET of a person to be treated like that! I will be praying for you!
PS - We are bringing home our dog today...I am a little nervous...

Anonymous said...

Sorry - that was a horrible way to be treated. Some dogs just need different environments and you have tried everything.

I'm sorry Holly has not been fitting it. I hope things work out.

swoozyQ said...

I'm sorry Robin :(
What an awful day. Sounds like you handled yourself very well and you are going above and beyond to make sure Holly is happy and your FAMILY SAFE. Some people forget that humans are more important than animals. Keep up the good work :)

Lizzie ♥ said...

That's really awful! I do hope you can decide on what to do and not be hassled for it.