Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Moment

I almost had a "white trash" moment. You know, one in which you totally loose your mind and start screaming at the top of your lungs and look like the lowest, trashy-est member of society? Have you ever had one of those moments? I wasn't sure what to call them until Jenny told me about one she had.

Anyway, usually my "moments" occur when my kids have pushed me WAY TOO FAR. This time, it wasn't my kid that caused this moment. It was Nathan's soccer team...or at least a good portion of them...and their parents (and I use that label loosely!).

Nate arrived at practice last night ready to, get this, PRACTICE. I know, this may be wild and crazy to some, but that's the way we do things here. I am finding that not everyone does things the same way. About 10 minutes into practice, my blood is on low simmer. About 15 minutes into practice we have come to a boil. About 20 minutes into practice I am at a rolling boil. After 25 minutes of practice, I am boiling over.

Over half of the team is totally goofing off. They are doing handstands, rolling on the ground, cursing at one another, throwing a kids hat (ok, there is NO reason to wear a hat to soccer practice!) around, TEXTING, yelling over the instructions and all around misbehaving. The few parents that were there did NOTHING! Poor Nathan is standing with his arms crossed, head and shoulders taller and more mature than the other kids, looking at the assistant coach like "would you please DO something?".

I finally went over to the 3 other parents and asked if practices are always like this. I guess so, since their response was, "Like what?". Thankfully, I did walk away before I explained just what I meant.

At a moment between drills, I pulled Nathan aside and told him I was doing something I NEVER do. I was leaving...WalMart was just down the street. Nathan needed more paper for school and I decided it was in everyone's best interest for me to go purchase it...now, this very moment.

I have NEVER been so hot at someone else's children. If I had not left, I am truly afraid of my actions. I may have been arrested for disciplining someone else's kid! Not to mention, I would've totally embarrassed Nathan. I am not known for my self control on a good day...and this was not a good day!

My children are by no means perfect, nor do they always stand perfectly awaiting instruction. I don't expect the kids on the team to be perfect. But we are, in theory, dealing with 11 & 12 year olds. Is it too much to expect them to stand up, pay attention and give some effort for the soccer drills? We were at soccer practice!

I can honestly say, without the smallest doubt, I would've yanked my kid off the field, dragged his butt home and PUNISHED him within an inch of his life if he had acted like one of those, those...hellions!!

Oh my goodness. I can only hope Gary will be home in time to take him next week. If not, well, please be prepared to bail my butt out of the local jail. I don't think it will be pretty.

No comments: