Monday, March 9, 2009

Our Weekend

We had a fun filled, packed weekend.

Saturday:

It started with Nathan's first, and sadly last, basketball tournament game. We were sure that he would win, but it wasn't meant to be. His team came up against a really tough team that was on a winning streak. We also had officials that we hadn't seen before, so they called the game a little tighter than we were used to. This is especially tough when you are the biggest, strongest player on the court. Nathan played great, scored 9 points, but for the first time EVER, fouled out...in the 3rd quarter. It's a real shame, because he had come out of the half totally on fire. He scored a quick 5 points and seemed to be on track to score a bunch more. He was playing tough defense and had a few questionable fouls called on him. It was really hard for him to watch the team struggle to the end of the game. His buddy, Matt, did a great job playing center while Nate was out, but the team just couldn't pull it out. Bummer!

I have to say, I was really proud of Nathan's improvement throughout the season. It was great to see him go from "I'm not sure I want to play...I don't know what to do" to "I want to be the guy with the ball...I can make the play happen". I watched his coach and Matt's dad work with him and help him understand what he could and should do on the court. I was so proud to see the coach pull Nate aside and explain how and what he needed to do to help the team comeback...and then watch Nathan do his best to make that happen.

Thanks so much Coach Bryan! You were just what Nathan needed to boost his confidence this year...and you really helped him learn the game of basketball! We can only hope Collin and Danny are on your team next year.

We came home and cleaned the house top to bottom for the company we had coming for dinner. Needless to say, the kids HATED this, but it sure made the house look great. Gary always says we need to have people come over more often so the house gets cleaned. He's right...I clean all week long, but it is never clean all at the same time unless someone is coming over.

We had a lovely dinner with some new friends from church. It was a great time of getting to know them. I finally feel as if we are starting to get to know some people at church and it is great! I really missed a church family since we have moved.

While they were here, I worked with Holly and her behavior. She did well, no growling, snapping or other nasty behavior. Good for her.

Sunday:

We went to church and rushed home to prepare for another family, to come visit. I know, entertaining twice in one weekend, CRAZY! However, like Gary said, the house was already clean! They have 3 kids, two of which are afraid of dogs. I sent Holly over to visit with Grammy.

I was so proud of my kids. They did a great job playing with the visiting kids. They have a toddler that my kids just adored. Nathan and Collin were particularly good with him, getting down on the floor, playing ball, reading to him, and Nate even allowed him to use a video game controller that he had unplugged. Once again, the Nerf guns were a hit! I am now convinced that you can never have too many Nerf guns in one house. I am also convinced that you can never find all of the Nerf bullets that have been fired in one house! They turn up EVERYWHERE!

It was great getting together with a new family and all of the kids getting along really well. It's amazing when you have 2 families that have well behaved kids. There were 8 kids in the house and there weren't tears or arguing even once! That is a successful day if ever there was one!

It was a busy weekend, but we had a great time. I hope your weekend was as fun filled!

1 comment:

Misty V said...

glad y'all had a great weekend of entertaining! i agree that it easier to have friends over 2 times in a weekend because it requires only 1 house cleaning! happy for y'all, but I wish we were there to come over. i am sure the food was yummy-licious for both meals!!!