Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Tree

Last night we decorated the tree. I say decorated because it was several days ago Nathan and I put up the tree (it's artificial and pre-lit and I refuse to feel less of a woman for it! We have a house full of allergy people, you know!) while the others were at indoor soccer practice. Once the others got home, we wound it with ribbon and then, just because we could, placed little poinsettia flowers on some of the branches. Once the hoodlums went to bed, I placed (not decorated or those hoodlums would've been upset that I decorated without them!) a few glass ornaments high on the tree.

Last night, we unexpectedly had a free night with no activities (whoopee!). I said, "Why don't we decorate the tree?" fully expecting a YAY, you're the best momma EVER response. I was wrong.

I got blank stares all around and then from one of the boys,

"It's already decorated isn't it?"

"Well, no. You haven't put your decorations on the tree. Do you want to do that?"

Kaylyn, "I kinda like it the way it is. Don't you?" Then, thinking my feelings were hurt, "No, let's do it, we'll put them up if you want to."

Great, wonderful family memories again. I'm so thrilled at this point to go down in the basement, fish out the ornaments and "have fun" putting them on the tree. yeah...can't wait...should be a blast...whatever...the mood was broken...

Anyway, at this point, Collin and Danny, sensing that I'm a little discouraged, run downstairs and find the ornament boxes. They bring the boxes up and start passing them out. Each kid has their own box for "their" ornaments that they have been given over the years. They also find my box of special ornaments and give that to me. (Could I have any sweeter boys? They really are awesome!) We did, finally, get into the spirit of things and even put on some Christmas music. The kids get their stuff on the tree and start to come over and get some of mine to give to Daddy to put higher. (My job is to unwrap the ornaments and put the hook on. Gary's is to put them on the tree. It just worked out that way when they were younger and now the kids think it's the way things are done.) We all start to realize that our tree is just not big enough for all of the ornaments we own. This realization was helped along by Gary saying, "Guys, don't bring me anymore, I can't find anymore places to put them." We still had a lot of Momma's decorations that weren't on the tree. Hmmmm...what to do...

My children, being the great problem solvers that they are, decide that next year we need another tree. Then we can have a kid's tree and a Momma's tree. I love it! They come up with such wonderful solutions!

So, after Christmas, when trees are on sale, you can believe that I am on a mission to find a beautiful, wonderful, second tree for us to decorate. I think, since the kids thought of it and all, it's the least that I can do to make Christmas just a little brighter in the Nest!

2 comments:

ME said...

Be very, very careful. It doens't seem like a big deal to purchase the 2nd tree, but somehow it becomes an obsession. Before you know it, you to will be starting to decorate in October so you can get all the trees up!!!

Misty V said...

I love trees. Trees all over the house! Momma's tree will be beautiful next year, and the kids will love having a tree to call their own!