Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dear Mr. Chef...

Dear Mr. Chef,

When you teach a class, please be sure your recipes are correct. It is a terrific disappointment to take a class expecting new wonderful recipes only to find that they are awful! Even worse, when we spend our time following the directions you have provided, we expect delicious results. By the way, at no time is it appropriate to say, "Oh, well I used to have a great recipe for Italian Almond Chocolate Torte but I lost it. I thought this was close, but I guess not."

Please be sure the measurements in your recipes are correct. As you explained, baking is a science and the recipes are specific formulas-they should be followed closely. It makes your students wonder about your abilities when we have mixed up a recipe only to have you tell us to "add 12 oz. MORE coconut". Twelve ounces? That's not a little off, that's 3/4 of a pound! I am sorry, but that makes a HUGE difference. When the creme brulee doesn't set up, it doesn't help us to say, "Maybe it needed 2 more egg yokes." Oh, and please explain why we might need to reduce 2 out of 3 components in a recipes. Don't you think it should be consistent? Just where does the "formula" fit into this recipe?

Please make sure you bring the correct supplies to class. When you are making Creme Brulee, it is imperative that your blow torch WORKS! Without the crunchy top, it's not much of a brulee...it's just custard-unless it doesn't set up, then it's just a really thick milky substance no one wants to eat! When you are making a bar type dessert, it helps to have a 13"x9" pan. When you are making a torte, a spring form pan would really help with the presentation. If you are going to make marzipan fruit, please bring the marzipan. Do not use the leftover almond paste.

Please do not show up with Food Lion brand ingredients as I can't imagine that Food Lion stocks the best, gourmet ingredients. Please do not tell us that unsalted butter is all a professional chef will use and then bring us salted butter. And, please do not tell us about the ingredients you use in Europe if they are not available locally.

And finally, although I could continue, please do not tell your students just how important fresh, seasonal ingredients are and then proceed to teach us pumpkin and cranberry recipes in May.

All in all, I have to say that I am disappointed in your teaching and your lack of preparation. When I have spent $130 on a class, I expect a lot more.

Your disillusioned student

P.S. When you have students that have paid $130 for a course that consists of only 3 classes, it would be smart to send any leftovers home with them. At no time does it seem appropriate to explain that it was your birthday this week, so you are taking a whole fruit tart-that we have made in class-home to share with your friends. I believe that we paid a hefty price for that tart and it is one of the few recipes that DID turn out.

5 comments:

Misty V said...

tell it like it was, Momma! Sorry, you were disappointed in the class! Did you send this letter in for the class evaluation? Maybe u should teach the class!!!

Momma said...

The chef "forgot" the evaluation forms. I am thinking of sending a real letter to the college. At least I got out for a few nights.

swoozyQ said...

PLEASE send this letter or one like it to the college. You deserve your money back! How awful!

baresheep said...

hee hee hee hee I will take my box of Twinkes anyday over that crap! Maybe we will have a Paula Deen Jr. Day at your house!! I'll bring the fries and the butter with THE SALT and not scratch my head and rub the pan with my hands!!! Hearts, Jy

Angie said...

Ohh I am so sorry that you had that many problems. I agree with Misty, you should defenitely teach the class. What a joke of a teacher. How did you not just chew him out on the spot. Sounds like it really would have been a great class with a different instructor. Well, we all know you are already a fantastic cook!!!