Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Claire's Field Trip

Claire and I went on a field trip to the Herr's snack factory today. During the tour, we got to see tortilla chips, potato chips and popcorn being make and packaged. In the warehouse, they said that they have about a 4 day turnover. That means that all of the boxes in the warehouse will be gone and replaced with new ones every 4 days. That's a TON of junk food! It was interesting to see all of the different machines they use to make, package and box the different snacks. They also gave us warm chips from the fryer on the tour. Mmmmmmm, potato chips have never tasted so good! I thought it was interesting that any edible byproducts from the factories-chips that hit the floor, potatoes that aren't up to their standards, etc.-are ground up and fed to the Angus cows that the Herr's family raises. I'm thinking that HAS to be some great beef! I think Claire had a fun time, but it was a long bus ride for a short tour and lunch. At least we got to spend the day together. I sure love that she still wants me to go on her trips with her. She's such a lovie!

No comments: