Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Sucessful Day!

We had another crazy Saturday game schedule today. A 9:30 basketball game, a 10:00 soccer game for Claire and an 11:00 game for Kaylyn, Danny and Collin. Here are some highlights!

On Wednesday, Nathan asked me to stay after basketball practice with him for some extra help. I was a little unsure because, let me be clear, I am not a basketball player...never have been. I have, however, watched basketball for YEARS. So, I agreed as long as he didn't goof off. We worked on free throws, layups-especially from the left side, rebounds and positioning under the basket. We were out there about 45-50 minutes. It was fun for both of us, but I wasn't sure just how much help I was. I did explain that he didn't need to throw the ball at the basket, but rather lightly put it up. I also explained that he needed more arc on his free throws as well as needing to bend his knees.

Well, guess what! It worked!!!!! Nathan scored 9 points today...1 free throw and 6 points from the LEFT side, just like we practiced! He had a bunch of rebounds also. I was thrilled! He is really coming along!

Claire's team won!! She scored, but they didn't count it because the whistle blew just before her shot. She was still excited. I didn't get to see the game, but Gary said she did well! He did mention that she seemed a little sluggish since she had been sick this week, but still gave it her all.

Nathan and I got there in time to see the triplet's game. They were playing a team that beat them something crazy like 16-2 at the beginning of the season. Gary has worked with the kids a lot to help find just the right line up and strategy to make it closer. It's been great!

Kaylyn scored in the first half (only her second goal EVER!) to put us in the lead. She was sooooooo excited! Just before the half, the other team tied it up.

Collin and Danny were in the WHOLE game. Gary just couldn't take them off defense. They are amazing when they play together. They don't even have to verbally communicate! When one moves out the other covers close in and vice-versa. I am always amazed at just how tough they are! The other teams are too!

Collin scored from far out to take the lead in the second half. It was a great goal, and we were really excited. We were hanging with this team! EVERYONE was cheering from both sides, and even people from the game after us started to cheer. The other team tied it up on a great goal, and it ended in a tie. That was fine, we FELT like we had won! Even the ref commented on how much our team had improved. I couldn't have been more proud of the kids or their coach than I was today.

All in all, it was a great sports day. We went out to celebrate with pizza. What more could you ask for?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

wow what a wonderful day!! i have a bro just like that