Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Danny vs. the Bus Driver

Danny sometimes has a hard time with impulse control. That's ok, most boys do. We try to keep it under control, but sometimes, especially when I'm not around, it gets the best of him.

Apparently, today Danny got off the bus and for some unknown reason, decided to throw a stone at the bus as it drove away. Needless to say, the bus driver was pretty upset. I received a call from him as soon as he was done his bus run. I assured him that we would "discuss" matters here at home and understood that he wanted to talk to Danny in the morning. Of course, being the sweet, understanding Momma I am, as soon as I hung up the phone I was screaming for Danny to come here this very minute! The conversation went something like this:

Momma: Dan, the bus driver just called me.
Danny: Why?
Momma: Why don't you tell me why.
Danny: Mummm Ummmm
Momma: Excuse me?!?
Danny: What did he say?
Momma: What do you think he said? He said you threw a rock at his bus!!!
Danny: Oh.
Momma: Oh!?! Oh what?
Danny: Oh.
Momma: Well, DID you hit the bus with a stone?
Danny: No.
Momma: Did you throw a stone at the bus.
Danny: Uh Huh. But I was on our property.
Momma: So what!?! Why would you throw a stone at the bus?
Danny: I don't know.

It went down hill from there. I don't know why he would throw a stone at the bus. More importantly, HE doesn't know why he threw a stone at the bus. For some unknown reason, to him, it matters that he was on our property at the time. I sent him to his room to think about what he did and what he is going to do about it. The following gives a very interesting view into my child's head.

Letter 1
Dear Mr. ~,
I am very sorry I threw a rock at the bus.
Your student,
Daniel

Good, but not enough, so I sent him back.

Letter 2
Dear Mr. ~,
I am sorry that I missed the bus. I will get some more practice to make it through the bus's window!
Your Enemy,
Daniel

Totally unacceptable! Funny, but unacceptable!

Letter 3
Dear Mr. ~,
I am very sorry I threw the rock. I didn't know it was a big deal to you.
Sincerely,
Daniel

Again, funny, but needed work.

Finally, Letter 4
Dear Mr. ~,
I am sorry I threw the rock at the bus. I didn't know it was wrong.
Sincerely,
Daniel
P.S. I won't do it again.

Not great, but I'll take it!

I'll have you know, that even though he wrote his letter, he is still convinced that he did nothing wrong. He thinks that the bus driver was just trying to get him in trouble! I can't make him understand that throwing the rock was a really bad idea, even dangerous. He just doesn't see it!

Good grief, I see nothing but trouble in our future!

3 comments:

ME said...

Why doesn't this surprise me at all. I laughed until I cried!!!

~B said...

My oldest is a sucker for a verbal scolding. He can't take it. I completely see my little one doing this.

Jamie said...

that was funny, but i hate being yelled at by my parents, and i think it really gets through to me!