Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chicken Festival

I now know that we have adopted country life as our own. The biggest thing to hit our county this year is the Chicken Festival. It was held at the 4-H park in the next town over. My friend, Jenny, has been talking about it for a while since her husband is, among other things, the chairman of the fry pan...the 10 FOOT fry pan...portion of the festival. I wasn't sure what to expect, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go, but I felt I needed to see a 10 foot fry pan frying chicken. Soooooo, despite the on and off rain and the really thick mud, the girls and I followed Jenny and her kids to the festival. It was great! Well, it would've been a little better without all the mud and without the tornado warning, but other than that, it was great!

Here is the best dang fry pan chairman ever with his lovely wife:
The fry pan:

The pan frying chicken:
Here is how they got the chicken out of the pan:
And dumped the chicken so that it could be boxed up for us to take home:
It was a blast!
Claire's favorite part was seeing the baby chicks. Baby chicks are her most favorite farm animal. She doesn't love chickens full grown, but the soft fluffy chicks are right up her alley. Claire's friend is Maggie, the chairman's daughter.
Kaylyn liked them too!
After some eating some great chicken, playing with baby chicks, and getting some delicious ice cream, we decided that we needed to go home. (After all, the tornado warning was over, so really, where was the added excitement?) We got to ride the tractor back to our car. It really made me laugh to read "Ride at your own Risk" on the little benches. I guess it can be very risky riding on a bench behind a tractor going 5 miles per hour. Please notice the excitement on Maggie's face. I just think that's the best face EVER!
I do have to say, you haven't lived until you have been to a Chicken Festival that has a 10 foot fry pan. It was really the most "country" thing I have done since I moved here...and I LOVED it. Who knew that deep down, I really, really want to be a country girl? Without moving here, I would've never known that part of me. And I really like that part of me!

No comments: