Friday, October 31, 2008

Not a Fan

I'm not a fan of Halloween. I never have been. Gary thinks that Valentine's Day was created just for the card industry, but I think that Halloween is WORSE. I think that a bunch of people in the candy industry got together with the people in the costume industry and decided to MILK ALL OUR MONEY. I was at Target and a bag of candy was $9.00!!!! That's nuts! (It wasn't the cheap candy because I don't want to get egged, but come on!) So, that being said, we are turning Halloween into Family Night. We are taking the kids to see a movie, having a Halloween Treat Hunt (in the spirit of Easter Egg Hunt) in the dark with flashlights and making S'MORES with our S'MORE maker. That's it. We are boycotting the whole Trick or Treat thing. Go ahead, turn me into the "Worst Mom of the Year" squad, or better yet, join me in more Family Fun! Have a good night doing whatever it is you do for this fake holiday!

4 comments:

ME said...

I love your idea. Next year we may host a Halloween treat hunt. I think that would be lots of fun

Susan

Momma said...

Thanks, it was great! The kids loved it and had a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Love the name of your blog! It's perfect! Great idea, very creative! I'm not a Halloween person either for many reasons.

What we do is take the kids to a local carnival of sorts put on by the local churches. It is all free and it is really nice. I'm thankful to have such a thing within walking distance from my home. There are games, food and drink, face painting, popcorn, candy, drinks, cotton candy, live music and other entertainment, a drawing for things like an iPod and a portable t.v., moon bounces, and much more. They don't even take donations. Some people dress up, some don't. There is a hint of a Christian message in each game. We go every year and each year is better than the last.

If we didn't have something like that, we would have to try your idea. It is funny that you mention Smore's (fellow chocolate lover!) because we do them every year when we decorate the tree. That is our family tradition! ;) MMmmmm...Smores!

erin said...

What a great idea!!

Erin