Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Mother's Words

This summer when I was soooooo hot, I swore that I wouldn't complain about being cold this winter. I would very happily put a sweater on and move along on with my day. Well, I can't help it, I AM COLD! Our mild fall here in Maryland has quickly run off and left us with a preview of winter! As I am sitting here I am wearing a sweatshirt, sweatpants and socks. I HATE socks, but without them my toes are numb. Now, a smart person might ask why we don't just turn the heat up. Great question! Our heat is electric (the old house was gas and always warm) and expensive! Actually we have the heat set at the same temp we had at the old house, but electric heat just isn't as warm. This brings me to My Mother's Words. I just heard my mom come right out of my mouth! Picture this:

Claire runs by with her new playdough creation wearing nothing but a tank top and pajama pants.

Momma: Claire go put a sweater on please.
Claire: Why Momma?
Momma: Cause it's cold!
Claire: No it's not, not to me.
Momma: Well it is to me. Go put a sweater on.
At this point, my hand covers my mouth because mom's words just came right out of ME! I see on Claire's face just what I always thought as a kid-Momma, I'm not cold. If you are YOU put a sweater on.
Momma: Never mind, honey. You run around cold just like I used to and one day you'll say the same thing to your kids.

What can I say. I really have become my mother!

No comments: